Fire, Smoke & Soot Tips
Fire, smoke, and soot damage can devastate your property. It can jeopardize the structure of your home and leave possessions permanently ruined by soot and smoke damage.
Fortunately, with the help of a good restoration company, you can get your life back to normal as soon as possible. Follow these tips to make sure your fire, smoke, and soot cleanup proceeds as efficiently as possible:
- After fire strikes, call a reputable disaster restoration company. Bowerman Cleaning and Restoration is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. All you need to do is call 1-844-BOWERMAN and our certified technicians will arrive at your property as soon as possible. We assess everything in your house to determine which items can be salvaged and which items need to be replaced. We also work directly with insurance agencies and property adjusters to ensure efficient restoration of your residential or commercial property.
- Contact your insurance company and submit a damages claim. Before you do that, consider reviewing your policy. Know your deductible amount and identify any policy coverage limitations. Your insurance agency will likely send a property adjuster to assess the damages.
- Keep a detailed list & take pictures of all the items, property, and possessions which were damaged or destroyed by the fire. Save receipts for these items and keep a detailed record of any money spent on items that had to be replaced and repaired.
- Once the structure has been declared safe to re-enter, turn off all HVAC systems to prevent soot, ash, and smoke from moving throughout the house. Turn off your heating, air conditioning, and fan units.
- Take care when walking around the property and avoid moving throughout the house wearing the same shoes and clothing. Soot and ash can quickly become embedded in the carpet and upholstery of other areas of the house.
- Throw away any food items that were exposed to fire or smoke. After a fire, many food items will likely be contaminated.
- Avoid cleaning carpet, upholstery, drapes, and other materials on your own. These materials require a delicate touch in order to clean and most people will simply make the damage worse. Deodorization, sanitation, and specialized cleaning services are required in order to salvage your possessions. A professional restoration company will use state-of-the-art techniques and machinery to gently remove soot and smoke from your possessions without further damage.
- Avoid operating any electrical appliances that were exposed to fire, smoke, water, or extinguishing solution. These appliances may short circuit if turned on, and it’s important to have all affected appliances checked by a professional. Turning on your appliances before they’re professionally approved may cause electrical shock and harm.
Call us now at 1-844-BOWERMAN and let us do what we do best!